Thursday, April 12, 2007

Absolutely stupid! Sigh, shake of head. Ab-so-lut-ely stupid.... Histrionics repeated.

I haven't played guitar (except once, and that was a mistake) for about a month. I can't. Ulnar nerve compression. How stupid. That behaviour is usually reserved for the young and those who do not believe in consequences. I have always (always? was I not once young? did I not recently hurt myself?) prided myself on my relaxed technique when playing guitar. Both hands/arms playing with just enough pressure for notes to ring. Conscious relaxation as I play. If I had a problem it was tension in my picking arm when playing very fast, I had to concentrate as I played to relax that arm. The arm that pressed strings was rarely a problem.

Constant vigilance is required as we age. We must re-evaluate what we can (still) do if we hope to remain injury free. If tiredness sets in then we need to rest or we run unacceptable risks of injury. I thought I knew that. I did know that. I forgot.

I had recently purchased a book of some of Django Reinhardt's music/solos. Out of interest, not as a new career. I was surprised that some of them caused me difficulty, even when I transposed them to make it easier for a four fingered guitarist. How did a guy with two fingers play that? Anyway, I embarked on a journey to play them at Django speed. I practiced too much, playing too quickly, too soon. After a few weeks I woke one morning with the, well known, symptoms of ulnar nerve compression.

Did I mention how stupid I am? I rested and when the symptoms had reduced (i.e. NOT gone) I had a 'free jazz' session with Mr Bashford. This is where I usually play too quickly, for too long, and get quite excited so that I forget to relax while playing. Obviously, I don't practice enough in a correct manner...

Next morning woke to even worse symptoms. Recovery progresses slowly. Serves an old guy right.

Farm work does not help. But that is not stupidity, that is necessary.

The "beautiful" weather continues. "Beautiful" if you're on holiday, "beautiful" if you have no requirements for water. By mid-April, often, some rain would have arrived. Not so far.

The view from the veranda should include water...


This lake has NEVER been empty since it was created decades ago. However...


View back to the house...


This should be green stuff (lots of it by now) and water views...


Instead of the diariser nodding his head sagely while looking over green pastures to animals that require little maintenance thus freeing him up for guitar practice (except for the aforesaid injury) he is busy feeding and maintaining...


The forecast for the next week is more 25 degree weather, sunny days, cool nights. Absolutely perfect weather. Sigh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home