Friday, March 09, 2007

It's too hard! It's all too hard...

No, it's not. If you wait to post blog entries until you think you have something earth-shattering or important to say then you will post nothing. Which is (possibly) as it should be. However, for those of us unlucky enough to be ordinary and not-genius we only have trivia and minutiae.

There are always excuses. Some are valid and when you're busy anyway then they can even be true but they are still, only, excuses.

Endsongs 2 had a gig in February. A local (ie 30 mins drive) cafe that was hoping (in vain) some of the summer crowds would still be around. They weren't. We played one set (we set up in a corner) of String Machine (long version... ie it was the set). The audience doubled during the set... from 2 to 4. We were an annoyance, I think. We had a small rest and then began a second set (Space Choir was to be the whole set). The audience left as we began. Vincent and I didn't mind and set to some serious improvising. The owner wandered over and said he was going close. Now! We stopped. We packed up (not a small job). We went our separate ways home. We had fun. Audience enjoyment = 0%, Performer enjoyment = 90%. At least someone had fun.

The improvised ambient thing is (possibly) too hard to get off the ground when the musicians are not well known. However, that's what I want to play. Mmmmm, compromise seems to be brewing.

Vincent and I have decided (in the meantime) to try and get gigs playing a different type of improvised music, so we can piggy-back the ambient stuff on top of it. Had our first rehearsal last week. Played for 100 minutes and I was impressed. Very difficult playing with no "big" sounds to fall back on and cover mistakes when playing semi-quavers at 150bpm (I have a strain ie RSI, in my left hand from playing with too much intensity - I will need to focus on minimal effort when playing - I do normally but was taken away by the excitement of it all. I also use heavier strings - Jazz Medium 13-56 - but the sound is worth the injury possibilities). Vincent plays acoustic drums and various percussiony things and I play my ES-137 through a clean 30 watt Carlsbro amp. No distortion, no effects. Except for the odd (controlled - mostly) feedback.

I would have to describe this new venture (endsongs 3?) as a mixture of Derek Bailey, John McLaughlin and The Necks (but with only drums and guitar). I think it sounds good. Most would not and (possibly - probably) call it noise, not-music. I'm hoping the more obscure jazz clubs will give us the opportunity to play. And then we can introduce the improvised ambient as well. (Sneaky, eh?)

The book proposal, that has been gathering dust on the hard drive these last (many) months has finally been sent out. In the back of my mind I have thought that if I have not yet received a rejection letter from all publishers then I have not failed. The easy way to not receive a rejection letter is to not send out a book proposal (this proves my earlier point about not-genius). I have come to my senses and sent out the book proposals. Failure awaits me via the services of Australia Post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home